PRACTICE FINAL EXAM – ANSWER
1. Convert the binary number 10111010 into its hexadecimal equivalent. Select the correct answer from the list below.
2. Convert the Hexadecimal number A2 into its Base 10 equivalent. Select the correct answer from the list below.
3. Select the necessary information that is required to compute the estimated time it would take to transfer data from one location to another. (Choose two.)
#a. file size
b. data format
c. network in use
d. type of medium
#e. bandwidth of the link
4. Using the data transfer calculation T=S/BW, how long would it take a 4MB file to be sent over a 1.5Mbps connection?
a. 52.2 seconds
#b. 21.3 seconds
c. 6.4 seconds
d. 2 seconds
e. 0.075 seconds
f. 0.0375 seconds
5. What are features of the TCP/IP Transport layer? (Choose two.)
a. path determination
b. handles representation, encoding and dialog control
#c. uses TCP and UDP protocols
d. packet switching
#e. reliability, flow control and error correction
6. Which combinations of charges will be repelled by electric force? (Choose two.)
a. neutral and neutral
#b. neutral and positive
#c. neutral and negative
d. positive and positive
e. positive and negative
#f. negative and negative
7. Which of the following are considered the best electrical conductors for use in data network communications? (Choose three.)
a. glass fibers
8. During cable testing, which of the following are used to calculate the information carrying capacity of a data cable? (Choose two.)
a. bit speed
c. wire map
d. saturation limit
#e. analog bandwidth
9. The highest capacity Ethernet technologies should be implemented in which areas of a network? (Choose three.)
a. between workstation and backbone switch
b. between individual workstations
#c. between backbone switches
#d. between enterprise server and switch
#e. on aggregate access links
10. What device must be used between an AUI port of a networking device and the media to which it is being connected?
a. a transducer
b. a transmitter
#c. a transceiver
d. a transponder
e. a port replicator
11. An ISDN Basic Rate Interface (BRI) is composed of how many signaling channels?
12. Which of the following does 1000BASE-T use to accomplish gigabit speeds on Cat 5e cable?
a. the use of four conductors in full-duplex mode
b. the use of two multiplexed pairs of wires, simultaneously
c. the use of three pairs of wires for data and the fourth for stabilization and forward error correction
#d. the use of all four pairs of wires in full-duplex mode, simultaneously
13. Which of the following items are common to all 100BASE technologies? (Choose three.)
#a. frame format
#e. multi-part encoding
14. For which of the following is Ethernet considered the standard? (Choose three.)
#a. inter-building connection
b. mid-length voice
c. video conferencing
#d. vertical wiring
#e. horizontal wiring
f. diagonal wiring
15. John has been hired as the network administrator of a local company and has decided to add more hubs to the company’s existing network. Which of the following has been caused by John’s inexperience?
#a. collision domain extended
b. an increased number of collision domains
c. increased network performance
d. increased bandwidth
e. extended bandwidth
16. “CompA” is trying to locate a new computer named “CompB” on the network. Which of the following does “CompA” broadcast to find the MAC address of “CompB”?
a. MAC request
#b. ARP request
e. proxy ARP
17. Which of the following is a term associated with replacing hubs with switches to increase the number of collision domains?
d. layered model
e. broadcast domain
18. The accumulation of traffic from which of the following can cause a network condition called broadcast radiation? (Choose three.)
a. anonymous FTP servers
b. telnet sessions
#c. video over IP applications
d. NAS services
#e. ARP requests
#f. RIP updates
19. Which of the following describes the use of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)?
a. resolve routing loops
b. eliminate Split Horizon errors
c. limit collisions
#d. resolve switching loops
20. Which term describes an ARP response by a router on behalf of a requesting host?
#c. Proxy ARP
d. Proxy RARP
21. Which OSI layer encapsulates data into packets?
d. data link
22. Which OSI layer defines the functions of a router?
b. data link
23. A company with a Class B license needs to have a minimum of 1,000 subnets with each subnet capable of accommodating 50 hosts. Which mask below is the appropriate one?
24. Which layer of the OSI model covers physical media?
#a. Layer 1
b. Layer 2
c. Layer 3
d. Layer 4
e. Layer 5
f. Layer 6
25. A small company has a class C network license and needs to create five usable subnets, each subnet capable of accommodating at least 20 hosts. Which of the following is the appropriate subnet mask?
26. When a network administrator applies the subnet mask 255.255.255.248 to a Class A address, for any given subnet, how many IP addresses are available to be assigned to devices?
27. If a network administrator needed to download files from a remote server, which protocols could the administrator use to remotely access those files? (Choose two.)
28. What is established during a connection-oriented file transfer between computers? (Choose two.)
a. a temporary connection to establish authentication of hosts
#b. a connection used for ASCII or binary mode data transfer
c. a connection used to provide the tunnel through which file headers are transported
d. a command connection which allows the transfer of multiple commands directly to the remote server system
#e. a control connection between the client and server
29. Which of the following protocols are used for e-mail transfer between clients and servers? (Choose three.)
30. What type of wiring problem is depicted in this sample of a cable tester?
a. a fault
b. a short
#c. an open
d. a split
e. a good map
41. What type of network cable is used between a terminal and a console port?
d. patch cable
42. What does the “10” in 10Base2 indicate about this version of Ethernet?
a. The version uses Base10 numbering within the frames.
#b. The version operates at a transmission rate of 10 Mbps.
c. Frames can travel 10 meters unrepeated.
d. The maximum frame length is 10 octets.
43. How is a MAC address represented?
a. four groups of eight binary digits separated by a decimal point
b. four Base10 digits separated by a decimal point
c. six hexadecimal digits
#d. twelve hexadecimal digits
e. twenty-four Base10 digits
44. To make sure timing limitations are not violated when implementing a 10 Mbps Ethernet network involving hubs or repeaters, a technician should adhere to which rule?
a. the 4-5-3 rule
b. the 6-4-2 rule
c. the 3-4-5 rule
#d. the 5-4-3 rule
45. Which of the following wireless standards increased transmission capabilities to 11 Mbps?
46. Which protocol functions at the internet layer of the TCP/IP protocol suite?
a. File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
b. Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP)
c. Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
#d. Internet Protocol (IP)
e. User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
f. Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP)
47. Which of these workstation installation and setup tasks are concerned with network access layer functions? (Choose two.)
a. configuring the e-mail client
#b. installing NIC drivers
c. configuring IP network settings
#d. connecting the network cable
e. using FTP to download application software updates
48. Which part of an IP address identifies a specific device on a network?
a. first two octets
b. third and fourth octets
c. network portion
#d. host portion
e. only the fourth octet
49. Which of the following are features of the Internet Protocol (IP)? (Choose two.)
#a. It is the most widely implemented global addressing scheme.
b. It allows two hosts to share a single address on a local area network.
#c. It is a hierarchical addressing scheme allowing addresses to be grouped.
d. It is only locally significant, used primarily on local area networks.
50. In a new network installation, the network administrator has decided to use a medium that is not affected by electrical noise. Which cable type will best meet this standard?
b. screened twisted pair
c. shielded twisted pair
d. unshielded twisted pair
#e. fiber optic
51. What is the recommended maximum number of workstations configured on a peer-to-peer network?
52. What is the maximum distance that 10BASE-T will transmit data before signal attenuation affects the data delivery?
#a. 100 meters
b. 185 meters
c. 300 meters
d. 500 meters
53. Which type of institution does the domain suffix .org represent?
54. Which of the following services is used to translate a web address into an IP address?
55. Which part of the URL http://www.awsb.ca/teacher gives the name of the domain?
#d. * awsb.ca
56. Which of the following will test the internal loopback of a node?
a. ping 10.10.10.1
b. ping 192.168.1.1
c. ping 127.0.0.1
d. ping 18.104.22.168
#e. ping 255.255.255.255
57. Which of the following is the Layer 4 PDU?
58. Which of the following are small, discrete components found within a personal computer? (Choose three.)
c. power supply
#e. light emitting diode
f. hard disk
59. What is important to remember about the data link layer of the OSI model when considering Peer to Peer communication? (Choose three.)
a. It links data to the transport layer.
b. It encapsulates frames into packets.
#c. It provides a service to the network layer.
#d. It encapsulates the network layer information into a frame.
#e. Its header contains a physical address which is required to complete the data link functions.
f. It encodes the data link frame into a pattern of 1s and 0s (bits) for transmission on the medium.
60. Which of the following are useable Class A IP addresses with a default subnet mask? (Choose three.)